We are Steer and we help people, places and economies thrive. Steer is a global employee-owned business consultancy specialising in transport, cities and infrastructure, with over 460 staff in 24 offices around the world.
We have an enduring commitment to generate success for our clients, for ourselves and for the communities which we support. A commitment that ultimately improves the way people live, work and travel.
At Steer UK, our consultants work to improve the outlook of our region, ensuring that our clients keep social and environmental impact in mind as they conduct their operations. We believe that actions speak louder than words, and therefore have annual measurable targets across all social impact areas, particularly DEI and sustainability. We have also committed to successfully operate as a Net Zero Carbon company by 2025, participating in the UN’s Global Compact.
For further information on Steer, please take a moment to review our website Steer | Helping people, places and economies thrive (steergroup.com).
About the role
We are seeking a Senior Wayfinding Designer / Planner to join our dynamic, multi-disciplinary, and award winning design team. The ideal candidate will have direct professional experience working in wayfinding projects, and technical ability to manage design processes, collaborate in multi-disciplinary teams, and communicating with clients. They will be able to work in a demanding environment on multiple tasks across a wide range of disciplines including wayfinding planning, information design (wayfinding design, mapping, infographics) and service design both for the public and private sectors.
This person will be a contributing member of our UK/International teams which is comprised of planners, engineers, economists, designers, financial modelers and technical specialists. In combination, these disciplines provide us with the breadth and depth to deliver integrated and innovative solutions to our many clients.
All Steer employees seeking a full-time opportunity are encouraged to spend 60% of their time either in office or on-site with clients. An employee’s typical work week consists of 37.5 hours. Hours, expectations, and exemption status will be adjusted for any applicant seeking a part-time opportunity.
At Steer, our employees are self-motivated, goal-oriented, and adaptive. Steer commits itself to providing our clients with the utmost quality of strategic and innovative advisement on some of the world’s largest transportation and infrastructure projects.
The ideal candidate for this role has:
- Experience in planning, managing and delivering complex wayfinding and information design projects
- The ability to work autonomously yet in collaboration with other colleagues and our clients
- The ability to provide our clients with design projects that combine creative flair and technical skill
- 5+ years relevant experience in design consultancy
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in graphic design or a related field
- Strong knowledge of wayfinding system planning/design, including exposure to whole project cycle from concept to planning to fabrication
- Demonstrated project and client management experience
- Experience with managing a team’s creative and financial deliverables to fit a client’s needs and expectations
- Experience developing successful bids/proposals
- Understanding of UK accessibility design guidelines
- An ability to take initiative and work independently
- An ability to delegate, learn quickly and find enjoyment through the development of new skills
- Creative thinker/problem solver able to get to the ‘essence’ of a brief quickly.
- Detail-oriented; able to multi-task and effectively prioritize workloads and meet strict deadlines
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and Microsoft Office Suite on a Mac-based platform.
We offer a competitive package of benefits including private medical insurance and health screening, life assurance, group income protection, company pension scheme, EAP, ability to buy and sell annual leave days, Season Ticket Loan, a group Share Incentive Plan, up to 5 days for volunteering activities and a discretionary bonus scheme based on annual compensation (dependent upon individual and company performance).
Additionally, we offer 25 days annual leave, plus the 8 bank holidays and the ability to buy and sell leave in the year to give extra flexibility.
Steer is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all candidates regardless of race, color, ancestry, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Any other human expressions and experiences not mentioned here are equally welcome. If you require an accommodation, now or throughout your employment, please let us know.
In our commitment to inclusivity in the workplace, Steer has welcomed the creation of various Employee Resource Groups, dedicated to ensuring the support, progression, and well-being of all employees. For more information, check out our social responsibility page Our social responsibility | Steer (steergroup.com).
We understand that some may be dissuaded to apply based off their compatibility with the job description. That being said, we understand that not everyone is a perfect match on paper and encourage anyone to apply, regardless of how much their work experience directly relates to the job description.
Part-time and flexible working applications will be considered.